Subject: Re: DEFRLU + BEDELU & eagle pass
Date: Jul 01, 2003 @ 00:53
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I do not really think for one minute that the USA/Mexico
boundary is anything
> other than absolutely vertical. I agree with Acroorca that, IF the
monuments
> indeed fix the boundary on the bridge; then the boundary
probably jogs away from
> the ever-moving thalweg along the flanks of the bridge to reach
the fixed
> monumented point. The notion of any contortions out of the
vertical are
> patently ridiculous in the absence of specific treaty language
(and would still
> be bizarre even with it).

i agree with acroorca too but here is what he may be missing

the freakin iwbc is probably going to say to you lowell
the thalweg rules on the ground & up to the upper surface of the
bridge
but the monument then causes the boundary to follow the right of
way or the bridge edges out to the monumented transsection
& since thats the way they probably see it & will probably call it
that means
de facto at least
vertical differentiation of sovereignty

& everyone will say de facto in such a case is as good as de jure
& they will be right too
for the prevailing perception however berserk is far more
important than the reality
in the illusion that we call reality
of which more below

> The US segments of bridges on the Rio Grande border tend to
be owned by the
> private sector or local governments. The State of Texas owns
only one (at
> Presidio), and the IWBC itself owns a few! Those that are
privately owned (all
> of the railway and some of the highway bridges) are subject to
property
> taxation.

yes this is the saving grace acro hadnt anticipated
a good & necessary reason to normalize & rationalize
however ineptly
this lurch & disjunction from normal reality

> For that reason alone, it would be most practical to fix the
boundary
> on bridges. Additionally, the railways have federal authority to
operate as
> common carriers. If the US railway built, owns, and maintains
the bridge to the
> boundary monument, and if the connecting Mexican railway
has the rest; what
> happens then if the boundary moves southward with the
accreting river. Private
> property would not pass to the other party. That would leave a
segment of track
> in the USA that pertains to a railway not having common-carrier
authority in the
> USA. (In the several cases where Canadian and Mexican
railways have and do own
> huge amounts of track in the USA, it is done through US
subsidiaries that do
> have such authority).
>
> I, like Acroorca, would be most interested to learn where it is
written that
> IWBC bridge monuments trump accretions of the thalweg. I
have been unable to
> find any copies of the applicable treaties on the web. (It's
almost as if the
> feds were intentionally hiding them, but I know that they're
published in
> books.)

maybe the feds of both countries

& here is where they may take you for an interesting ride
to the answer of another nagging question

why is it that every monument on caus is geopintpointed &
published online
but scarcely a one on mxus

could that have anything to do with all these embarrassingly fuzzy
bridge lurches they might prefer to keep secret
or to some other embarrassments we would like to know about

end of insertions

> I believe that the currently governing treaty would be that of
November
> 23, 1970. The treaties could very well provide for the joint
survey of the
> boundary and that monuments once established along the dry
boundary AND AT RIVER
> CROSSING POINTS and accepted by both sovereigns are
fixed. We all know that
> even an astronomically flawed demarcation of a dry boundary
governs nevertheless
> if it has been ratified by the parties.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

pass

> > len
> > of course this question refers only to the accreted sectors &
not
> > to the avulsed ones at all
> > where there is no question the markers do rule
> >
> > & then if you do learn that the ibwc markers do indeed legally
> > trump their corresponding thalweg position
> > & i would think there is certainly a good possibility of this
> > it will still be necessary to learn the path by which the
boundary
> > gets from the ground to the bridge
> > or the presumption will remain that the bridge jog sector
> > whether expressly or implicitly
> > interrupts the thalweg boundary for the width of the bridge
> > & along its edges
> > but still without vertical differentiation of sovereignty
> > just as we saw occurs by law in lithuania
> >
> > but please do continue the hot pursuit
> >
> > i am sure you are on to something big here
> > if not a vertigal jog
> > then at least the clear delineation of a fantastic illusion
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
> > <orc@o...> wrote:
> > > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
> > areas
> > > treaty text.
> > >
> > > i thought we already knew there are many such dry areas

> > I'll
> > >
> > > great

Commission
> > HQ
> > > here in
captured
> > > under the
> > > river
I'll let

> > > great
> > > you are on the leading edge of this question then
> > > which i think boils down to
> > > where does it actually say
> > > ibwc markers above the river trump the thalweg

> > hot
> > > pursuit
precedent
> > > by