Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Interprovincial municipality, ABSK
Date: Jun 26, 2003 @ 16:30
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

While I certainly meant that Lloydminster is bijurisdictionally chartered, I
also included the term "multijurisdictionally" as a sop to any possible example
elsewhere that might be chartered by whatever number of jurisdictions. To me,
the prefix "multi-" refers to two or more. My dictionary says that it can mean
either "more than one" or "more than two."

While tripoints are the primary topic of the group, it appears that most of the
discussions in the past have related to other boundary and boundary function
topics. This is probably due to the relative rarity of tripoints and their
sometimes relative inaccessibility (in waters, on mountains, etc.). That being
the case, I will feel free "yak" on at least a bit before returning to pure
unadulterated tripointism.

I confess not knowing much about St. Regis. Is there one municipal government,
jointly chartered by New York and Québec (à la Lloydminster), or are there two
separately-chartered municipal governments that cooperate in certain functions
(à la the Texarkanas)? A brief bit of web searching seems to show that the US
reservation is governed by the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council (three chiefs,
three sub-chiefs, and a tribal clerk), while the adjoining Canadian reservation
is separately governed by the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (one chief and eleven
councilors). Am I wrong?

All of this aside, I will discuss some US state tripoint matters in a separate
message later today--just in case the majority of members have already baled on
this message due to its "unprincipled or purely associative" nature. :-)

For those who have followed all the way to the end, I thank you.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA