Subject: mdvawv & Re: Hancock MD
Date: Jun 18, 2003 @ 13:51
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Tom Sanders
<hilversum96@y...> wrote:

> acroorca2002 <orc@o...> wrote:
> tom
> when did you visit the mdvawv area
> & did you find any tristate marker there
>
> i ask because many of us have sought this presumably
> unmonumented & usually submerged tripoint over long years
>
> but there is now reason to believe it has recently been
> demarcated for the first time
>
> so it is a high premium point at the moment
>
> I was there in April 1990. My destination this day was Harper's
Ferry National Monument in WV. I knew that I would briefly enter
VA after crossing the US 340 bridge, and that three states met
nearby. At the time, I had never heard of tripointing. So I was
watching for welcome signs at the VA-WV line, after driving
through the corner of VA, and never saw any. So I assumed that
the meeting point must be in or near the Potomac River, and
unmarked since the VA-WV land border wasn't marked.

you were right on all counts
& i have been there subsequent to the 1997 demarcation
but unaware of it
& always in flood stage
& never thought to peek at the top of the huge boulder just above
the high water line for a vawv terminal mark
which is where i would expect one in view of what i know now

so that & the county land offices also recently mentioned are
some hot clues imo in case you or anyone else is ever in range
& desirous of advancing the state of the point here