Subject: re mdvawv
Date: Jun 17, 2003 @ 19:14
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

a 1997 survey marked 30 points along northernmost vawv
specifically between loudon county va & jefferson county wv
with copper plates set in cement monuments embedded in rock
the positions of all which are recorded in the county land offices
& have evidently been accepted by at least one of the 2 states

& since mdvawv is the terminal point of this survey
it seems a good bet that it will be found so monumented
where the ridge line meets the low water line of the potomac
without any need for checking at the land offices
provided the river is at a low enough stage to expose it

alternatively or additionally
there could be a marker at the nearest convenient point above
the high water line
with or without an indication of where the true terminal point aka
mdvawv tristate point was determined to fall

in any case it appears there is certainly somewhere to grow here
should anyone get there before i can when the river is favorable
which btw it definitely isnt at the moment

an interesting account of the survey
http://www.profsurv.com/ps_scripts/article.idc?id=224
& the legal description
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+7.1-10.1

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> tom
> when did you visit the mdvawv area
> & did you find any tristate marker there
>
> i ask because many of us have sought this presumably
> unmonumented & usually submerged tripoint over long years
>
> but there is now reason to believe it has recently been
> demarcated for the first time
>
> so it is a high premium point at the moment
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Tom Sanders
> <hilversum96@y...> wrote:
> >
> > I've been on that short stretch of US 340 in Virginia. There's a
> gas station between the Potomac River bridge, where the road
> crosses from MD to VA, and the WV border. I remember
stopping
> there to fill up. Until I returned a couple years later, I used that
> quick visit to add VA to my list of states visited. In this respect, I
> added an extra visit to TN after stopping at the VA-KY-TN
tripoint
> near Cumberland Gap.
> >
> > Also stopped in Hancock, although I remember that part of
> MD/PA more for great car radio reception. New York City and
> Detroit can both be heard, thought faintly, in the daytime. And,
> with patience, both DC and Pittsburgh FM come in. What a
spot,