Subject: Re: farthest known place from its seat of government
Date: Jun 15, 2003 @ 01:19
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

well you are right len
the original seat
in our worlds farthest known place from its seat of government
had completely fallen off the question somewhere along the way
at least in your mind
& it certainly was missing also from the previously revised
abbreviated question
tho reinstated again above to restore the original foolproofing

& i realize it is only natural that you would off on such a bender
given such an opening

but since you have also already beaten yourself up over having
taken such harmless advantage of yet another opportunity to
show off your erudition whether you ever make any points or not
i will only ask
what in a nutshell would your particular point or try be here then

is it perhaps just
if i may kibitz it
worlds farthest known place from its national capital

for that might be a novel & a candleworthy pursuit in itself

& if so
would you suggest wallis in that case
or futuna
or some other place
or were you not wanting to actually offer a try

btw there are some easy online great circle distance calculators
if you or anyone else is interested in pursuing these or any
similarly extreme pointing questions

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> I think there is a good bet that Paris is farther than Oslo is from
> it's most distant dependency in the south Pacific. Try Wallis &
> Futuna. It's halfway around the world from Paris, and quite
some
> distance south to boot. Oslo is a third of the way to the
Equator
> from the North Polo and Bouvet is maybe a quarter of the way
north
> from the South Pole, but almost directly south of Oslo, denying
it
> credit for any mileage along the earth's E-W circumference.
Without
> looking, it would almsot have to be farther than anything
suggested
> thus far.
>
> Before anyone writes back with "objection", I know and
acknolwedge up
> front that Wallis has three tribes and a local tribal government.
> know one or two parties will write shoot back about the
definition of
> "it's government" will try to "disqualify" my suggestion and goad
me
> into sematics over it, but it doesn't change the fact that the
> sovereign administers it from Paris. Bouvet has a party on the
island
> and if one wants to "get into it" about the nature of government
the
> locals have over themselves in Wallis, consider beforehand
the
> autonomous nature of the party out on Bouvet to regulate their
own
> local affairs. Diego Garcia, too, has a quite a local government
in
> pace, which surprises me that anyone suggests it is governed
solely
> from the homeland - it runs a lpost office, issues stamps, has
> governor, etc., and it's local administration excercises its
sovereign
> prerogatives; it monitors and administers the US-UK lease
and the
> Status of Forces Treaty the UK has with the United States.
>
> I don't have recent information, but in the mid 1980s, the British
> Foreign Office had a fellow named John Topp, posted as
colonial
> "Administrator". The administrator governed with "Naval Party
NP2002"