Subject: Re: TORRES sTRAIT
Date: Jun 12, 2003 @ 02:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@u...>
wrote:
> It seems there are some insular enclaves, a couple either side of the
> fisheries line.

clearly at least 4
thanx & qed

> I would argue that the Australian islands within the
> fisheries line, but northof the seabed line are not enclaves as they are
> connected to the rest of Australia by air and sea, even if not by the seabed.

no argument here but papua claims 12nm of territorial seas too
tho not shown at all on your otherwise excellent ozzie map
& thus she presumably surrounds at least the northernmost 2 of these 3
other candidate claves that you would disqualify
even tho all are similarly looped in tan sovereign territorial seas

& so far as i can understand these are connected to oz only by its
sovereign right to the fish in them
rather than by any sovereignty over the seas themselves

the sovereignty over these the ozzie map misleadingly omits entirely
as if the nontan waters north of the seabed divide had no sovereignty

but clearly they must have papuan sovereignty most if not all the way
to the seabed divide
just as ozzie waters within 12nm of oz proper have ozzie sovereignty
most or all the way to the seabed divide

so for the connection between oz & oz
it would be hard enough to walk on air or water
but walking only on fish taxes my credulity

& to imagine there could be any ozzie rights to the intervening
airspace would require walking on not just any fish but flying fish

one final nicety in your map tho
is the little tan flap to the east of the fisheries zone that connects
with the primary ozzie territorial sea

call it a peneclave or salient if you like just to help locate it

its topology strikes me as just like what you are supposing is the case
for the 3 other candidate claves you would disallow for being within &
connected to oz proper by the fisheries zone
except here we can see the connection with our eyes & there we must
take your word that you can get there by walking or flying on the fish