Subject: Re: Hancok, MD
Date: Jun 08, 2003 @ 18:46
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan
<pit.hokie@a...> wrote:
> Yes, I drive through Hancock quite regularly. Hancock is a fun
destination
> for "roadgeeks" as well (of whom I am one) because it's the
location of one
> of the shortest, non-terminating US or Interstate road
segments in the
> United States through any one state.

for the very shortest such
consider
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4041216&e=67516
8&s=25
at the northwest corner of the texas panhandle
where both rumor & fence lines indicate texas gets barely nipped
by the eastbound lane
& not at all by the westbound lane
of us56&64

depending on which side of the vehicle one is sitting in
the travel distance might be measured in inches rather than feet

> Coming north on U.S. 522 through Virginia, you enter West
Virginia for only
> about 20 minutes, passing through the small town of Berkeley
Springs. The
> road then crosses the Potomac River into Hancock, Maryland,
passes over the
> town, then joins with I-70 for short distance where it almost
immediately
> crosses into Pennsylvania. It's about 1.0-1.1 miles between
the WV/MD line
> and the MD/PA line on U.S. 522.
>
> Brendan
> Monroeville, PA USA