Subject: Re: pene enclaves
Date: Jun 06, 2003 @ 03:53
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

excuse me brendan

i realize you can probably hold this line at a clavologists
convention thanx to catudal & robinson & all the other gods who
may have put their foot in the same bucket before you

but really
as some of us have been pointing out for much of the past
10000 messages
the formulation you have provided below is hopelessly contrived
& convoluted & practically pointless
especially for around here at bp
where we are seeking only the clearest & truest available truth
& are focused primarily & precisely on the very lines & points that
you so lightly disregard
for example by not distinguishing whether access is indeed only
possible or merely easiest
from a particular direction

or by a particular means
etc

or by so blithely regarding a mere point as if it were a physical
connection
for convenience of definition
regardless of truth

or by omitting in the first place to tell us what you mean by
one
when you say here that a pene enclave is one etc

one what

one instance of not quite knowing what one is talking about
perhaps

well you can do all this ok
only not very persuasively around here

& i have to ask you again because you keep handing us down
the same threadbare pontification
as if it really were some kind of received truth

dont you realize you & your predecessors have actually been
combining at least 3 different kinds of pene here
3 different kinds of almostness or nearlyness
into a single undifferentiated & undistinguishable term

& then flatly disallowing someone elses idea of almostness
by calling it a bit of a stretch
for not being included in one of your own several stretches of the
terminology

so please make such a term a peneterm or a quasiterm instead
for thats what all the confusion has been about
weak terminology

& we have been here before
so it only gets weaker as it goes
once the necessity for improvement is evident

but i think calling all such things sortaclaves or thingamajiggies
would be much more honest
than formalizing & latinizing all this confusion

in fact i think sortaclave would be the most faithful &
unpretentious english rendering for them all
as well as for any other almost sense anyone may wish to add
having to do perhaps with whether water or sovereign territory or
feathers may intervene
& what exact kind of each
etc etc

& a better map is not going to help with such embedded
illogicality & self contradiction & indifference to facts

but i agree we could use a better map too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
<bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> A pene enclave is one that is accessible only (or most easily)
from another
> country, but is physically connected to the motherland, even if
only by a
> point (as in Jungholz).
> Thus Klein Wasertal was a pene enclave: part of Austria, but
accessible
> most easily (ie by road) only from Germany.
>
> If you mean about St Martin that the western peninsula is
separated by the
> lagoon's channel with the sea (which has been bridged), then
it is
> stretching the definition a tad, as the channel looks to be
straight and
> thus artificial? Sort of like calling Greece a pene enclave
because of the
> Corinth Canal. One needs a better map...
>

> For maps try omnimap.com, click on international maps, then
Netherlands
> Antilles.
>
> Netherlands Antilles--Topographic Quadrangle Maps. 1985.
Netherlands. These
> maps are a more recent edition of the maps listed below.
These are color
> copies of some sort, although the quality is quite high. These
have a
> bilingual Dutch and English legends. Contour intervals are 10
meters.
> Universal Transverse Mercator projection, International
ellipsoid (WGS
> 84?). Sheet sizes vary.
> 66-33864 Saint Martin. 1:25,000. 1 sheet, size 73 x 85 cm.
$35.00

> St. Martin--Geologic Map. 1:50,000. BRGM. 1989. One sheet
with 59-page