Subject: Re: Quebec - Newfoundland and Labrador
Date: May 30, 2003 @ 23:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

actually i am a little surprised newfoundland is even presenting
this marker as a border marker
since it isnt really a border survey marker at all
but only a vertical datum installed unilaterally by quebec
& provocatively too far east at that

in fact there never has been a real nfqc survey at blanc sablon
& the border here remains indefinite & even in mild dispute

when i encountered this marker in the summer of 2000 on the
shoulder of the coastal highway
i could see it was a few meters too far east of the nominal &
purported position of nfqc
at the easternmost extremity of the bay of blanc sablon
which was indeed visible just over the cliff that dropped off below

i was looking for a road stone as well as a nearby beach stone
at that time
since some locals insisted they existed
& i couldnt imagine that they didnt

it was only later that i learned there were in fact none to be found

later tonite i will scan & post a pic of my try for the canfqc tripoint
where nfqc meets the canadian crown waters in the strait of
belle isle about a kilometer below your marker

& re your quest for canadian interprovincial markers in general
i have seen 1 true interprovincial marker along nbns very near
baie verte across from pei

& i think your absk towers are most decorative
as well as very probably real & true

& of course lets not forget the mbnunwsk marker
at the four corners of the north
in a class of its own

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray