Subject: Don't have a cow man!
Date: May 27, 2003 @ 11:01
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Cows are a problem on the Indo-Bangladesh boundary. Bangladeshi Muslims eat
them, Indian Hindus don't. So the Indian nationalists portray border
raiders as cow-rustlers, snacking on the sacred. And of course cows wander
across the bunds with impunity (unless rustled before , or cow-napped after
crossing over), while the farmers chasing after them get arrested, and have
to prove their ownership of the cows or face smuggling charges.
Naturally this gives the farmers a real beef with the border guards of the
opposite country.

Brendan