Subject: Re: NYNJ - My take
Date: May 14, 2003 @ 18:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

kevin i am again staggered by my incomprehension

assuming you are talking to me just below
if i may
then i still dont know what assumption you are talking about

nor do i follow your analogy
even allowing for its admitted somewhativity

the jurisdiction of the land denver owns out of county belongs to
the county in which it lies
as you recognize

the jurisdiction of the land new york has jurisdiction over beyond
the primary njny state line belongs to
new york
of course
& thus is separated from new jersey jurisdiction
obviously
by secondary njny state lines

topologically speaking
there is not 1 but 3 jurisdictional new yorks
just as there are 2 jurisdictional kentuckys

& jurisdictional new jersey has 2 jurisdictional holes in it
occupied by 2 of these jurisdictional new yorks rather than just by
new york property

so this isnt at all like denver

this is rather more like kentucky bend
except here the 2 exclaves are enclaves too
while the kentucky bend exclave isnt enclaved in anything

also
if not precisely these interstate boundaries then what interstate
boundaries were the supremes talking about

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
<flynnk@r...> wrote:
> No, your assumption is incorrect. Jurisdiction (in this case of
NY over
> Ellis and Bedloes/Liberty and the surface of the Hudson even
on the NJ side
> of the boundary, is *not* what makes something part of the
state of NY.
> That's what I've been trying to point out... If the islands are
indeed a
> part of NY state and not merely pockets of NY jurisdiction within
NJ
> territory then there must be some other instrument or mention
of it as a
> right of property.
>
> A somewhat analogous situation: The city and county of
Denver owns 14,000
> +/- acres of land in its Mountain Parks System, all of it well
outside the
> city borders up in Jefferson County, Douglas County and
elsewhere. It has
> jurisdiction over this land but it is not part of Denver County.

much
> earlier than the above earliest known codifications
>
> but anyway granted there was once a wild scramble here
> still arent jurisdiction rights rather than property rights what
> actually determine which state a piece of territory is in
> even if the state lines hadnt been clearly delimited in 1834
> nor as clear as they are today
>
> & it seems you are not really questioning the state lines of
today
> or are you
> kevin
> for i admit i have lost the boundary reasoning for this thread
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
> <flynnk@r...> wrote:
> > I disagree only to the point that you belive treaty writers might
> use
> > different terms to mean the same things; my experience is
> precisely the
> > opposite. They only use different terms precisely when they
> intend to denote
> > different things. The definitions in a statute, document or
treaty
> are sharp
> > and clear. The exclusive right of jurisdiction by NY over some
of
> the same
> > physical territory that is clearly also defined as part of the
> exclusive
> > right of property on the part of NJ sets up a strange situation
> that can't
> > be answered by just saying,"well it's NY" or even "Well, it's
NJ."
> The
> > surface of the Hudson River, for example, west of the middle
> line (the
> > stated state boundary) is subsequently stated as being
under
> NY
> > jurisdiction. Therefore, they muyst mean different things.
> Otherwise, your
> > position is that the surface of the river west of the boundary is
> both NY
> > state and NJ state.

goverment