Subject: Re: NYNJ - Here: official postal marking
Date: May 10, 2003 @ 20:49
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

i dunno
i dont even think that was a question
but my answer would be
a postal cancellation actually performed precisely on a border
particularly an international border
tho such a hallowed state line as njny ellis might do
along with attached evidence
such as a polaroid photo
of that very cancellation actually being applied on that envelope
precisely on that border
say in a very limited & clearly numbered edition
might be worth a few bucks to someone

better yet such a cancellation performed on a tricountry point
i am pretty sure would fetch a pretty penny

but what do you think it is worth

that might be more to the point

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Arif's subject "NYNJ" reminded me that, when the US Postal
Service
> issues stamps, its first days of issue ceremonies usually are a
day in
> advance of nationwide sale at one designated post office. The
"first
> day post office's normal cancellation device is changed to read
on
> that day "First Day of Issue" and is used to cancel all mail
bearing
> the newly issued stamp(s). Ellis Island has been such a site
since
> the 1960s at least, and the official, federal government
cancellation