Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Jungholz
Date: Sep 15, 2001 @ 09:34
Author: Bernhard Lurssen (Bernhard Lurssen <tardis@...-net.de>)

Hello Brendan,

Brendan Whyte wrote:

> Excellent work!
> Jungholz is a point by definition in the treaty then!!! Confirmation!!!

if you like, you can send the scans directly to my email address. That would not
unduly take members' time to download. I would post the reply publicly then.

But now to the next articles:

> Art XXXII
> Un die Vollendung und Sanctionirung des Vermarkungs-Operates der dritten
> Graenzsection noch im Laufe des Jahres 1844 Moeglich zu machen, werden sich
> die beiden hohen Regierungen spaetestens bis Ende Juli heurigen Jahres
> darueber vereinigen, ob und unterwelchen naeheren Bestimmungen sie das in
> Laufe der Verhandlungen ueber die dritte Graenzsection in Anregung gekommene
> Gebietstausch-Project, wornach zur Erzielung einer naturgemaessen Vermarkung
> und Auscheidung des beiderseitigen Staatsgebietes von Seite Oesterreichs der
> Gemeindebezirk von Jungholz, dann der ganz in das baierische Gebiet
> eingreifende District Broeger an Baiern abgetreten, und dagegen von Seite
> Baierns der in der Beilage W. II des Conferenze-Protokolles angedeutete
> Theil von dem Bezirke Rohrmoos in den baierischen Steuerdistricten
> Balderschwang und Tiefenbach an Oesterreich ueberlassen werden soll,
> realisiren oder ob sie davon Umgang nehmen wollen.
> Dieses Gebietstausch-Project soll uebrigens als ein von demeigentlichen
> Graenzregulirungs-Geschaefte und der nunmehr bereits bewirkten Ausgleichung
> der bisher bestandenen Differenzen voellig gesonderter und nur auf die
> Vermarkung der dritten Graenzsection einflussnehmender Gegenstand betrachtet
> undbehandelt werden; die beiden hohen Regierungen verpflichten sich jedoch,
> inzwischen in den oben bezeichneten Tausch-Objecten keinerlei Veraenderungen
> oder Werthsverminderungen vorunehmen, oder vornehmen zu lassen.

Art. XXXII (digestible version)

In order to enable the completion and ratification of the demarcation process
(*1) of the third boundary section within the year 1844, the two governments
will agree until July this year at the latest on whether or not they will
realize the territorial exchange project and under what conditions. This project
proposed during the negociations concerning the third boundary section is meant
to create more natural territorial contingencies concerns the following
territories: The Austrian district of Broeger, constituting a salient deep into
Bavaria, will be ceded to Bavaria. Conversely, the part of the Bavarian district
of Rohrmos, forming part of the Bavarian tax districts of Balderschwang and
Tiefenbach, as depicted in Appendix W II of the conference protocol, will be
ceded to Austria.

Besides, this territorial exchange project is to be regarded as seperate from
the proper boundary demarcation project as such as well as from previous
compensations and differences. This territorial exchange project is to be
regarded as having influence only on the demarcation of the third boundary
section. However, both governments are obliged, not to carry out or initiate any
modifications or devaluations to the objects of the territorial exchange as
described above.

Footnote by translator:
(*1) I'm not 100% sure about the ancient word "Operat"

> In art.XV before, what does "lit." stand for? the phrase was Plane Beilage
> lit. A.II ..." meaning sometihng to do with "article 2" of the conference
> protocols

Sorry, I couldn't find out, Brendan. It seems likely that it refers to the
Appendix numbering system.

> Then
> "Ergaenzungs-Vertrag vom 16 December 1850, zum Graenzberichtigungs-Vertrage
> zwischen [Austria & Bavaria] ddo. Muenchen den 30 Jaenner 1844, ueber die
> Landsgraenze der gefuersteten Grafschaft Tirol mit Voralberg einerseits und
> des Koenigreiches Baiern andererseits vom Scheibelberge bis zum Bodensee.
> Art III. Der in den Artikeln XV, XVI und XXXII angedeutete Gebeitstausch um
> den oesterreichischen Bezirk der Gemeinde Jungholz nebst dem Districte
> Broeger gegen einen Theil des baierischen Bezirkes Rohrmoos ist beiderseits
> aufgegeben.

Supplementary Treaty of 16 December 1850 to the Boundary Rectification Treaty
between Austria and Bavaria dated (*2) 30 January 1844, concerning the boundary
of the Princely Earldom of Tyrol with Vorarlberg on the one hand, and the
Kingdom of Bavaria from Scheibelberg mountain to Lake Constance on the other
hand.
Art. III The territorial exchange hinted at in Articles XV, XVI and XXXII
proposing the exchange of the Austrian district of the town of Jungholz as well
as the District of Broeger against a part of the Bavarian District of Rohrmoos
has been abandoned by both treaty parties.

Footnote by translator:
(*2) I'm not 100% sure about the abbreviation "ddo", but that is easily
verified.

> Then I have just discovered the next 6 pages of the treaty also refer to
> Jungholz, so I will scan it, rather than type it letter by letter, as I
> don't read German!
>
> BW

Feel free to keep them coming, Brendan. I won't promise to process them the same
day, but soon enough I hope.

All the Best from Germany

Bernhard