Subject: Re: Fwd: testing &hotdang another multimessage
Date: Aug 10, 2001 @ 16:39
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
Nope, your messages still don't copy into the reply field
automatically. But I have cut-and-pasted to good effect.

>i wonder if you are also considering adding the places where
>continental shelf sovereign rights claims exceed the 200nm eezs &
>might to that extent further diminish the common wealth of everyones
>land
>if not actually its sovereign territory
I feel there's a contrast here between the Earth's surface and the
earth's surface. The EEZ globes depict Everyone's Land at the Earth's
surface - only once we get down to the sediment through x metres of
water do the continental shelf rights kick in.
Possible, certainly, to extract the old 1958 200m isobath shelf limit
from the ETOPO5 database, which includes the whole earth's surface,
in contrast to GTOPO30 which gives the land area only.

>also wondering whether the normally 12nm sovereign territorial
>limits can be added to these existing maps
>so that the full ebb & flow of our domains can be seen at a glance
Beyond my time and wit at present - inshore and archipelagic
baselines become very significant at 12nm (whereas all the but the
largest baselined bays are obscured by the 200nm plot I did, at the
resolution I used). I'd need to drop them into the data by hand
(hard, slow), and then rerun my plot program (just slow).

>& for the millennium please see
>http://www.mohawk.net/~barbaria/millennium.html
Good stuff.

Grant