Subject: Re: Really Abitrary Points
Date: Aug 10, 2001 @ 00:47
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

I happen to like the millenium to begin in 2000, but there is also
the liguistic element to this argument. AD (anno domini) is, I
think, a possesive (the lord's year), and one is not one when one is
in one's first year, nor 2000 in AD2000.

BJB

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@c...>
wrote:
> > Purists, of course, argue that the new millenia doesn't start
until
> 2001.
> Yeah, what was all that about? Those purists were never that pure
if
> you ask me.
> We all know the argument - there was no year zero, so the start of
> year 2 was just the end of one elapsed year; start of year 11 was
the
> end of ten elapsed years, start of 2001 the end of 2000 elapsed
years.

> But the count was set up retrospectively, and one of the few things
> we know about the birth of Christ is that it wasn't on the
Christmas