Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Really Abitrary Points
Date: Aug 09, 2001 @ 22:23
Author: Beckett, Bob ("Beckett, Bob" <Bob.Beckett@...>)

i found an article in my personal archives that would be of interest. i
don't have a scanner available so below is the transcribed script. the
article appeared in the wall street journal on 30 december 1999. i never
heard if the event went on as planned.

bob beckett
hollis, nh usa

Navy's Y2K Trick: Span Globe and Years While Standing Still

New Year's revelers: Try to top this.

Tomorrow night, the nuclear submarine USS Topeka plans to be under the
ocean's surface at precisely 00 degrees latitude, 180 degrees longitude.

Cognoscenti will recognize those coordinates as the intersection of the
equator and the International date line, a point in the Pacific Ocean
roughly half-way between Hawaii and Australia. At midnight local time - 7
a.m. on the East Coast - the 360 foot long sub wiull be straddling the two
lines.

That means that when the clock strikes 12, different parts of the vessel
will be in different hours, days, months, years, centuries, millenia,
seasons, and hemispheres simulataneously.

Purists, of course, argue that the new millenia doesn't start until 2001.
But that isn't stopping the U.S. Navy, which facing the challenges of
recruiting sailors in a robust economy, arranged the drill as a publicity
stunt. In May, the crew of the Hawkbill, another submarine, got to play
football at the North Pole.

"We have travel benefits that not many organizations can match," says Lt.
Cmdr. Dave Werner of the public affairs office at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii,
where the Topeka is based.

Crew members will collect vials of water as the keepsakes and shoot videos
of their station, lest anyone doubt their whereabouts. The 130 men on board,
won't be breaking out the bubbly. Like all Navy ships, nuclear subs are dry.

by Lee Gomes