Subject: Re: bedelu question marks
Date: Jul 06, 2001 @ 16:48
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Peter H.'s site also contains some pictures of the tripoint, when the
vegetation at this place was somewhat less. See
http://www.geocities.com/mafiapetedk/eurtp.html . The German boundary
marker has B|L at the side facing the Our. This would suggest that
there is no belu condominium. Also, the L marker can be seen, but
this is definitely the marker on the Belgium side! The German shield
has been removed, just as all such shields seem to be removed.

Another picture of the tripoint can be seen at
http://www.eastbelgium.com/reuland-ouren/nl/sehensw/ourendrei.html ,
2nd picture.

As for the questions: I don't have good maps of the area. To know how
the boundaries are situated here probably requires maps at a very big
scale. 1:25k maps probably won't do the trick.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Mats Hessman <blofeld_es@y...> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I am thrilled by your condominium pictures. Thanks for sharing
> them and the information to go with them.
>
> I have some questions to you and others:
>
> 1. Could anyone share a good map scan of the
> delu condominium areas, please? And perhaps Peter's
> proposed belu condominium?
>
> 2. Does the group know of any other condominium
> bordermarkers elsewhere in the world of the D/DL-kind that
> Peter has shown us in his pictures?
>
> Mats

Reibaach,
> i.e. the small stream that is the belu boundary and which enters the
> Our at this point, is a condominium as well, because it used to be
the
> continuation of the Prussian-Dutch border (the Belgian territory
here
> was part of Prussia) when the borders were drawn. So that could be a
> Belgo-Luxembourgish condominium! On the other hand, it is such a
small
> stream (and when I visited it no more than a pathetic trickle),
that it
> would surprise me to find its waters to be a condominium.
>
> The first picture is taken from Germany. The bridge is between
Belgium
> and Germany. You can see the boundary marker on the German side in
the
> foreground. The Rippach enters the Our between the bridge and the
tree
> on the left, although you can't see much of it because of the
> vegetation and dead wood that has been accumulated here.
>
> The second picture gives a closer look of the Rippach. It is taken
from
> the bridge. On the left is the Luxembourg marker, and on the extreme
> right/bottom of the picture the one in Belgium can be seen. The one
in
> Luxembourg is marked B and has a right angle on top. The one in
Belgium
> is marked L and has some very obscure lines (four lines, as I
recall,
> but I can't make it out on the picture) on top of it.
>
> The third and fourth pictures are close-ups of the B and L markers.
The