Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Kerkrade border pillar
Date: Jul 02, 2001 @ 11:31
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@...>)

"Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...> wrote:

Thanks for the scan.

>But it looks like the Kerkrade municipality has put the town name sign
>in Germany...

I guess they did.

Schlimm, schlimm. ;-)

>By that building you don't mean anything that is on your picture, do
>you? I don't think any buildings straddle the border here. the main
>boundary turning point seems to be the main boundary marker 232, which
>is on the Nieuwstraat just behind the photographer. The boundary looks
>like to be continuing up north along the green fence on the right of
>the picture, towards the Rolduc catholic seminary.

Okay, here's my reconstruction, largely drawn from memory.

The Germans call the first part of the Nieuwstraat Aachener Straße
(up to where it makes its southward bend). We approached from the
German side, walking down the road from the point where it bifurcates
on the righthand side of your scan. This continuation is, I believe,
also called Aachener Straße. Your scan indicates border marker 232,
standing at the junction of they Heyendallaan and the
Nieuwstraat/Aachener Straße. This junction is actually a roundabout.
The building is crammed between the Heyendallaan, border marker 232a,
and actually *interrupts* the Nieuwstraat/Aachener Straße (where this
road constitutes the border) and the Aachener Straße. The roundabout
is in front of the building. Coming from the Aachener Straße you
can't see the Nieuwstraat/Aachener Straße: you have to go around the
building.

This being the case, I see no other option than that the building
actually *does* straddle the border.

-Pepijn

--
pepijnh@... -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220