Subject: Berlin exclaves revisited, Bottcherberg
Date: Jun 25, 2001 @ 19:35
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <blofeld_es@...>)

Peter Smaardijk wrote:

>The situation at where it says "Neu-Babelsberg" is the location of
>the former three Boettcherberg enclaves. I have never seen a map of
>these (at this time, they didn't exist anymore). How did they look?

I had the opportunity briefly to visit the Bottcherberg-area
just the other week.

Here is an excerpt from a cadastral map of Berlin, Stadtplan
von Berlin, part 4063/3063, 1:4000 from 1953. (Taken
from T Book, "Angerdorf och Exklav", Vaxjo 1984)

http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/Book_Bottcherberg_overlayed.jpg

I have named the three exclaves (overlayed in red text) and tried
to hint the photoangles (overlayed in blue) of the following
pictures.

Picture 01
http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_bb01_annotated.jpg
This shows the two southern exclaves, looking east. West Berlin
is in the darkness behind a wall to the right. The small chruch
is not visible behind the bushes to the left.

Picture 02
http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_bb02_annotated.jpg
This shows the two southern exclaves and parts of West and
East Berlin. I am not quite sure where the borders actually
are (were!). For example, is the border following the wall
to the left, or does it follow the edge of the plaster?

Picture 03
http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_bb03_annotated.jpg
This is the same area from another angle. Again the precise
location of the border is difficult to fix. Did the pavement
to the right form part of "Bottcherberg SE" or not? The streets
look newly repaired to me, and I expect this area was part
of the border zone before 1989, when the roads were probably
not covered with plaster.

Picture 04
http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_bb04_annotated.jpg
This shows the norther exclave, looking west. Parts of the
churchyard is visible to the left. I think the entire area
was used as a churchyard, at least prior to 1961, but the
northern part was converted to part of the border zone.
Probably at least some of the border installations stood on
this part of West Berlin soil at some time. I wonder
if the East German authorities had any idea about the
exclave?

Picture 05
http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_bb05_annotated.jpg
The northern exclave again, this time seen from West Berlin.
Note the extremely narrow gap between "mainland" West Berlin
and the exclave. The hinted borderlines are, of course,
tentative.

Mats