Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Iron Curtain
Date: Jun 06, 2001 @ 23:18
Author: Dallen Timothy (Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@...>)

RE: [BoundaryPoint] Iron Curtain

Jesper,
There are many segments of the Iron Curtain being preserved in Germany for heritage/tourism purposes.  In Berlin, city officials have painted a red line along the streets and sidewalks where the old wall used to go.  Several other interesting things exist: 1) the Checkpoint Charlie Museum is full of pictures, wall pieces, barbed wire, observation towers, and customs buildings of the old wall.  2) in the German countryside, the Grenzland Museum includes several pieces of the older border together with walls, ditches, observation towers, etc.  3) also in Berlin, large tracts of the wall are still standing and preserved as a reminder of the past.

I'm not sure about the rest of the Iron Curtain, but I know this is how Germany is, and also the border between Finland and Russia is still pretty tight, including fences guard towers, and walls.

Dallen