Subject: Re: Caribbean 200nm EEZ overview
Date: Jun 01, 2001 @ 15:58
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <grant.l.hutchison@...>)

Peter:
> It is 200 nm from the baseline, not from the coast. This probably
> won't make much difference, but I wonder whether it makes any all the
> same.
Much less impact, of course, at the 200nm level than at 12nm, since the
baseline has to be quite long before it begins to show a serious effect
at the 200nm limit - most river estuary baselines become irrelevant,
for instance. Big bays are, as you say, much more of a worry. And I
haven't looked at somewhere like the Maldives yet, but I think diffuse
archipelagic countries with long interisland baselines just won't
render well at all in my model.

As I say, I look on this exercise as experimental geography - I render
the 200nm limits from GTOPO30, and then muse on the difference between
my result and the real world of maritime treaties and disputes. I would
never, for instance, have known about Isla del Coco (another
potentially habitable island a few km on a side that's missing from
GTOP30) if I hadn't noticed its EEZ linking the Galapagos to Central
America.

>(The enclave of high seas in the Barentsz Sea has this nickname loop
>hole; the one in the Sea of Okhotsk is the peanut hole, the one in
>the Bering Sea the donut hole).
Lovely. (Maybe we should call the north polar high seas enclave
the "ozone hole".) After while I hope to be able to generate a global
view of 200nm EEZs which more or less matches the real world at the
(low) resolution I'm using. I think a north polar view would be
particularly interesting, to help judge the true extent of the polar
high seas enclaves, which are always seriously distorted on
conventional world maps.

Grant