Subject: Re: Dutch-German boundary conflict (2)
Date: May 28, 2001 @ 06:17
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

The straight line in the Dollard looks like being already agreed
upon, at least the southern part of it. The northern part is dubious,
because it cuts in two the Geise dam that is keeping the riverbed in
its place.

Interesting to see you have made a picture of 203-II, too!

The little 1:50k topo atlas of Groningen I have show a boundary in
the Eems that must be the Dutch viewpoint: from the straight Dollard
line (which looks like to be a continuation of the last straight
stretch on land), just south of Emden, through the thalweg of the
Eems (called at this place on my map "Vaarweg naar Emden", meaning
Navigation way to Emden, then following the thalweg towards "Gaatje
Bocht", then taking the Oost Friesche Gaatje and not the Bocht van
Watum, thus leaving De Hond-De Paap to the Netherlands. The last bend
the boundary makes near the Eemshaven (the bend is towards the
Netherlands). The German viewpoint is indeed the way you describe it.

BTW: 203-II looks like to be not the northernmost marker: on my map,
another boundary marker ("Gp") can be seen on the sand plates of the
Dollard, in the middle of the straight line (near Dutch grid co-
ordinates 276,589). 203-II is the northernmost marker on permanently
dry land, though.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Harry ten Veen" <h.ten.veen@t...> wrote:
> Peter,
> I have also looked into this matter.
> All my Dutch topo-maps only show the straight borderline towards
Emden and
> don't give the border in the Eems.
> I have a German map though (Die General Karte, scale 1:200.000)
which,