Subject: Re: New member says hi!
Date: May 24, 2001 @ 19:08
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Hi Michael. The stuff you come up with suits this group perfectly.
This is precisely the off beat things we occupy ourselves with.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michaelstride@h... wrote:
> 1) A bit of Canada in Northern France. I believe it might be more
> than just land given for a military cemetary after the first world
> war. It's mentioned in a book that I don't have access to till next
> week.

Sounds like Vimy. There is a huge (and I mean HUGE) Canadian war
memorial thing there. 35 m high it is. There is a cemetary as well.
According to a small book I have, 11285 Canadians were killed here in
the battle for this hill in 1917.

> 2) A Belgian island on a lake in Italy. When I was in Belgium
someone
> mentioned this oddity to me, seems like a church was put on an
island
> in Italy, but I know no more than that! Sounds mad I know!

Completely mad! I hope it's true. Can you or anyone else give us more
on this?

> 3) A room in the Savoy? or some other hotel in London that is
> Yugoslavian (as was). Evidently in order for a monarch to rule
> Yugoslavia they must be born on Yugoslavian 'soil' so the British
> gave a room to Yugoslavia when a prince was born.....sounds a bit
> like an embassy kind of deal going on, but who knows?

Sounds like (having read your follow-up) the room was just
Yugoslavian for one day. And anyway, what would it be nowadays?
Yugoslavian still? Serbian? Something else? A room-restricted civil
war is all we need...

> 4) The security/customs posts at the Channel Tunnel between France
> and England. Each country has a bit of land in the other for
security
> checks.
> I hope these are of interest, and if I'm totally out of order in
> posting this please let me know! regards Michael

Way out of order ;-). Keep it up!

Peter S.