Subject: Re: Armenian/Azeri enclaves
Date: May 18, 2001 @ 11:34
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I can't prove anything either, but it could well be that this enclave
has an Armenian and an Azeri name. Remember that the enclave is under
Armenian occupation. I think the NK capital Stepanakert is called in
Azeri Khankendi or something similar. These names don't resemble in
the slightest.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., rpalmber@a... wrote:
> I cannot prove this, but I am now convinced
> that the name Azatamut is not in fact the name
> of the enclave (although on the map it's written in
> the middle of the enclave); I think the name of the
> enclave is Barkhudali (which I haven't found on
> any map).
>
> This assumption is based on the sites
> http://www.mg.klever.net/~shr/ref-bul.htm
> http://www.azerb.com/
> and was pointed out to me by Grant Hutchison.
>
> Rolf
>

> >Brilliant maps! Pity the maps don't always adjoin. And some things
> >fall off, for example half of the Armenian enclave Artsvashen. So
the
> >Azeri enclaves in Armenia are called (from n. to s.) Upper
Askipara,
> >Azatamut, and Tigranashen (with a village Kyarki in it). This last
> >one belongs to Nakhichevan.
> >
> >It is with the Nagornyy Karabakh maps the problems start. See my
> >message 2187:
> >
> >A I can find
> >B is nowhere to be found
> >C I can find
> >D is not one but two enclaves! (D1 and D2)
> >E is nowhere to be found
> >F I can find
> >And I think I can find a very tiny one (NK territory in Azerbaijan
> >proper) on the Khachinchay river (roughly in between Agdam and
> >Vanklu). (BTW, I am using my Soviet map here again, because my
> >Armenian is somewhat non-existent. This means these names are
> >transcribed from Russian, and possibly renamed altogether). You can
> >see it at the extreme lower edge of map section S. Is it an enclave
> >or a map makers mistake? Let's call it enclave G for the moment.
> >
> >Furthermore, there is some boundary anomaly on the northern edge of
> >NK (map section S). It looks like the boundary is double here! What
> >is the area in between, then?
> >
> >And finally, the occupied territory north of NK is on these maps
> >already incorporated into NK. It is the area around Shaumyanovsk.
In
> >map section T this can be seen very well: the border is the one
with
> >pink, but for some length it is a dash-dot line. This is the new
one.
> >The old one had dashes with little transversal extensions at each
end
> >of a dash (I hope I describe it in a way you understand it...).
Some