Subject: Re: Armenian/Azeri enclaves
Date: May 18, 2001 @ 09:13
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Brilliant maps! Pity the maps don't always adjoin. And some things
fall off, for example half of the Armenian enclave Artsvashen. So the
Azeri enclaves in Armenia are called (from n. to s.) Upper Askipara,
Azatamut, and Tigranashen (with a village Kyarki in it). This last
one belongs to Nakhichevan.

It is with the Nagornyy Karabakh maps the problems start. See my
message 2187:

A I can find
B is nowhere to be found
C I can find
D is not one but two enclaves! (D1 and D2)
E is nowhere to be found
F I can find
And I think I can find a very tiny one (NK territory in Azerbaijan
proper) on the Khachinchay river (roughly in between Agdam and
Vanklu). (BTW, I am using my Soviet map here again, because my
Armenian is somewhat non-existent. This means these names are
transcribed from Russian, and possibly renamed altogether). You can
see it at the extreme lower edge of map section S. Is it an enclave
or a map makers mistake? Let's call it enclave G for the moment.

Furthermore, there is some boundary anomaly on the northern edge of
NK (map section S). It looks like the boundary is double here! What
is the area in between, then?

And finally, the occupied territory north of NK is on these maps
already incorporated into NK. It is the area around Shaumyanovsk. In
map section T this can be seen very well: the border is the one with
pink, but for some length it is a dash-dot line. This is the new one.
The old one had dashes with little transversal extensions at each end
of a dash (I hope I describe it in a way you understand it...). Some
stretch of old boundary, without the pink, can still be seen.
Needless to say that this new boundary isn't recognised (except,
perhaps, by Armenia), just as the NK republic itself isn't recognised
either.

A nice feature is that you can clearly see the numbered boundary
markers on the old soviet border!

Peter S.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/