Subject: Re: Is Cyprus Europe or Asia
Date: May 17, 2001 @ 08:13
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Harry ten Veen" <h.ten.veen@t...> wrote:
> Excuse me for bringing this mess into this group....

No, the more the merrier.

> Azerbaijan (do you mean that by Azeri?) = AS

Yes. I think Azeri is the adjective. But I could be wrong, because it
could be the adjective to the people. And that includes the
inhabitants of South Azerbaijan, in Iran.

> By the way Italy has some islands which are in AF: Isole di
Pantelleria.

In that case, Spain has some AF parts, too (apart from the Canaries):
Melilla, Ceuta and the small stuff. And Alboran?

> Bolivia is SA but has NA islands (a.o. Baja Nuevo).

You mean Columbia?

> Japan, including Ogasawara, is AS but Minami Torishima is OC.
> Antarctica is divided into a SA (South America), AF and an OC part!

Hmm, I beg to disagree. I think. Where are those boundaries running
then? Probably meridians. Why can't they make Antarctica a separate
continent?

> Heard Island, according to its call-sign allocation "connected" to
Australia (which is OC), is AF.

> Tripoints according to my Map of the World for Amateur Radio:
> EU/AS/AF in the Mediterranean Sea at app. 28 deg. east. and 32 deg.
north.
> AS/OC/NA in the Pacific Ocean at app. 180 deg. east and 43 deg.
north.
> NA/SA/OC in the Pacific Ocean at app. 120 deg. west and 1 deg.
north.
> AF/OC/AS in the Indian Ocean at app. 90 deg. east and 1 deg. south.
> AF/AS/OC not on the map, but I assume it is on the geographical
South Pole.

> This map has some loose ends by the way. 180 deg. east/west is in
the center of the map (it is of Japanese origin). The NA/SA line
dissapears at the right end of the map and the NA/EU and EA/AF line
vanish at the left edge...... so no tripoints.

> Radio-amateurs use a list of entities (which extends a country
list). It is called the DXCC list and has 334 in total on the moment.
> I admit it is trivial to breng this list in this group, but is
has "official" components like call-sign allocation by the
International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
> For more info you might look at www.arrl.org and search for "dxcc".
>

> gl
> Harry ten Veen

And for Cyprus: Why not split it in three? The Greek part is
European, the Turkish part Asian, and the UK bases just plain UK.
After all, they call us "the continent", so I guess they consider
themselves a separate one... ;-)

BTW: this last remark is a joke. You'd be surprised the angry faces
you get when you say some country is not in Europe (except the
British).

On the other hand: anyone for continental enclaves??

Peter S.