Subject: Re: Do continental names matter?
Date: May 17, 2001 @ 07:55
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Continental names don't matter more or less than anything else
discussed here, I guess.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Emi Boass <eb3@a...> wrote:

> What about Israel, she is part of and has won the European Song
Contest.

And plays in all kinds of European sports leagues. Israel is just not
very liked by its direct neighbours.

> Greenland shares a King with Denmark, but that does not make
Greenland
> part of EC. Canada shares a queen with UK but is in America, though
> interestingly many Canadians deny that they are Americans!!!

Yes, but in the days the Netherlands were comprised of nl in Europe,
in the Caribbean, in South America and in South-east Asia, the
distinction was definitely made about "the kingdom in Europe" and the
rest, which wasn't in Europe. And that looks like common sense to me.

> On a good day Icelanders will show you where the boundary between
> America and Europe crosses the Island. They tell you at that time
that
> the western half of the country is in America and the Eastern in
> Europe. They would also tell you that Greenland is the first
American
> country settled by Nordic people. If you look at the coordinates
you
> will find that Greenland surrounds Iceland. Does that make Iceland
part
> of America?

We'll see. The day Iceland is split in two by a giant earthquake,
they can have it their way. But to split an island the Sint Maarten
way into parts belonging to different continents, and also
considering the fact that the island is not split fauna- and flora-
wise, looks very odd to me. Still, like I said, anything to attract
tourists...

Come to think of it: Can we add the part of California west of the
San Andreas fault to Oceania then?

> Emil

Peter S.

> Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen wrote:
>
> > When I was in Cyprus, I regarded it as Europe. The guide even
made os
> > go to Cape Greco the most south-eastern corner of Europe. But
flying
> > home it stroke me, as we flew over Asian Turkey, that Cyprus then
had
> > me to be Asia as it is very east compared to the Bosperus
> > Strait. Cyprus is regarded Europe when it comes to soccer, the
> > European Song Contest and the European Community, but that is
just man
> > made decissions. Look up any encyclopedia and it will say Cyprus
is
> > Asia. Anyway, if you went to Madagascar - would you say you went
> > Africa. Or if you were in Greenland, where you then in America?
Jesper