Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: World 200nm EEZ survey
Date: May 12, 2001 @ 23:08
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

peter & grant
but also everyone else
let me add too about these points & more generally
how gratifying & inspiring it is to be joined in such hot pursuit &
appreciation of the incredibly subtle & fugitive & challenging little
details of the full global territorial patchwork

& i do mean the maritime phase especially
as you see
not only because pinning it all down is infinitely more difficult & fun
than pinning down the terrestrial phase
rather like combining a jigsaw puzzle & a diagramless crossword
but particularly because the first accurate description of our beloved
everyones land absolutely depends on such an improbably delightful pursuit

& exchanges of even such fragmentary & inconclusive data as the present
sequence
representing but a few of the essential little tessera in our huge mosaic
are tho seemingly casual yet actually so valuable to the overall interplay
that i am led to wonder if there isnt some way we can begin to
systematically collect them all toward an eventual complete assembly

of course designing such a filing & referencing & synthesizing system would
probably be a monumental frivol & task in itself
especially for someone like me whose abilities do not exceed the making &
revising of simple lists
but if there is any interest or ability in the group for creating a data
hub embracing all the sovereign lands & claves & multipoints of this world
there may be no better time than now while the iron & pursuit are so hot

otherwise your inconclusive but valuable exchange here
for example
just becomes another in a series of easily forgotten yet important loose ends

& we are all left just scribbling comments & passing our little lists in
the night

so i put the idea out here for you & others with ability to consider

maybe it only needs for starters just a web page we can all post data to
which might then be periodically upgraded & expanded
but i am already out of my depth in suggesting even this

but what do you think
&or what would you like

if this is worth doing isnt it also worth thinking a little more too