Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Enclave access
Date: May 07, 2001 @ 02:27
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

The Cooch Behar enclaves are freely accessible, you can just wlak in, but if
one asks for official permission, one runs into the bureaucracy. Neither
countyr can allow you to visit the other's enclaves n themselves, and as
there is no official border crossing point for any enclave, it is
technically illlegal, but there are no fences nor does anyone care when youy
are there. ONly Dahagram/Angaporta has Indian forces patrolling its borders
(and it is surrounded by watchtowers). No fence, just white painted concrete
dragonsteeth style pillars a couple of feet high on the corners of paddy
fields.
To enter dahagram-Angarpota, one has to traverse the tin Bigha corridor from
Bangfladesh's Patgram salient. To get there from India means using the
changraband-Burimari corssing point on the old rail line at the top end of
the Patgram salient, or any of the other border crossing points, but the
rest are much further away. Then a bus to Patgram town then a cycle-rickshaw
to Tin bigha and across. They hope to have a bus service "soon".
BW