Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: how many model earths & how much do they vary
Date: May 06, 2001 @ 00:01
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

beauty grant

i am very pleased with both of us

curiously my old unreliable dictionary that i like to keep next to my old
unreliable atlas was misleading me by qualifying a spheroid as a particular
sort of ellipsoid that is generated by revolving an ellipse around one of
its axes

it defines ellipsoids generally as geometric surfaces whose plane sections
are all either ellipses or circles

so i am glad to gather from you that such distinctions are not operative in
the present cases or perspectives
& also glad to reduce the options from 4 to 3
so as to get at the 5 most interesting & actual ones

& authalic
what a handsome idea & so rare & mysterious a word for it
not in my old unreliable greek latin or english dictionaries

airy spheroid is a nice idea too for that matter