Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: caus straight or irregular
Date: May 04, 2001 @ 00:56
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Peter Smaardijk wrote:

> You mean that along loxodromes the magnetic north is in exactly the
> same direction, or do you mean true north? I thought it was true
> north, actually, but I'm not sure now.

True north. A loxodrome by definition maintains the same angle relative to
true north.

> And do you know whether a great circle is measured along the earths
> surface being a perfect sphere? I remember vaguely there is also an
> approximated "earth surface", not the actual one with mountains on
> it, but rather one that takes into account the fact that the earth is
> not a perfect sphere but more "pear-shaped". I can't think of the
> name now though. (And I remember vaguely (lots of vague memories)
> that there is an earths surface based on a level of equal gravity.
> But that would have to take into account the different matter inside
> the earth. This is probably beside the point here.)

Earth is approximately an oblate spheroid, i.e. flattened pole-to-pole
relative to the diameter of the equator. I don't know the answer to the
great circle on the oblate spheroid question. Of course the meridians are
not circles but ellipes, but they are still shortest paths. Equator is a
shortest path and the greatest circle (tangent to the earth) of them all.
But I don't know how if at all the oblateness effects the length of great
'circle' paths.

David