Subject: Re: how many countries in the world
Date: Apr 30, 2001 @ 14:41
Author: granthutchison@cs.com (granthutchison@...)

Brendan:
> Are places like Tuvalu and Andorra UN members?
They are. Lots of out-of-the-way Pacific and Central African nations
turn up among the U.N. 189.

> How about Cook Islands? Like Bhutan, they are a country but NZ
> looks after foreign affairs and defence.
They're "self-governing in free association with New Zealand" - both
the Cook Islanders and N.Z. look on the islands as still a dependency
of N.Z. Cook Islanders have automatic N.Z. citizenship, and the right
to a unilateral declaration of independence appears in the Cook
Island constitution. The fact that this is specifically mentioned
implies a current state of dependency, I reckon. The same applies to
Niue.

> Is East Timor a country yet?
Dunno, really. It seemed to be in U.N.-occupied limbo the last time I
looked.

Grant