Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] divided islands-an answer
Date: Apr 28, 2001 @ 11:31
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

Are the divided islands in Scandanavia TURNING POINTS in the boundaries?
With the precise turning point at the peak or center of the island? If
so, Peter's boundary marker theory seems obviously correct.

But if the boundary is a straight line cutting the island, it can be
hardly anything other than a co-incidence.

Islands cut by boundaries can be expected anywhere that a fiat boundary,
drawn on a map without knowing the details on the ground, crosses a region
that contains islands. Lakes with islands are relatively rare on a global
scale, most of them are in glaciated areas: Scandanavia and Canada and the
former Soviet Union. Fiat boundaries should divide islands by chance
mainly in those regions.

David