Subject: Re: DELU
Date: Apr 26, 2001 @ 14:44
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Thank you, Wolfgang. Very valuable information indeed. Still, it not
only answers questions, but creates some new ones, too:

1. All islands in the boundary rivers were allocated to either
Prussia or the Netherlands. Some got a boundary marker, but there
were ones without a boundary marker as well. The border was formed by
the main course of the rivers. So no mentioning of the condominium at
all, wet or dry! Was the condo situation created after the boundary
treaty was concluded, then? The spit at Apach probably wasn't there
at the time. So is it or isn't it a condominium?

2. The little map no. 7 shows the boundary continuing to the north
following the Rippach (or Reibaach, or Rhiebach, the spelling is not
really consistent in the different sources). This looks like the
boundary at the time Sankt Vith was still German. So is the Rippach
brook a condominium as well then? Probably not, because it is now the
belu boundary, but you never know, as it was once the Dutch-Prussian
boundary. The Sauer is, after all, a tributary of the Mosel, the Our
a tributary of the Sauer, and the Rippach a tributary of the Our.

3. It looks like the numbering of the boundary markers changed since
1818. dedelulus now is no. 19, but back then 21! Which could explain
the fact that on my map nos. 22 and 23 are missing... Or my map is
wrong, of course.

4. I saw the word 'Bannmeile', when referring to the Vianden
bridgehead. Does it mean the bridgehead was part of some sort of
pale? This would bring the feudal times back in sight. My dictionary
(German-English) gives for 'Bannmeile': Inviolable precincts (of
city, Parliament etc.).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Gartner Wolfgang <WGartner@k...> wrote:
> now enclosed as MS Word-file i present some additional
information's in
> german language.
> You will find an explanantion for the several treaty-dates 1815,
1816, 1818,
> 1964.
> 1815 is based on Vienna Congress
> 1816 the treaties betweeen the Netherlands (including Luxemburg an
Belgium)
> and Preussen
> 1818 the special border arrangement with two authentic cards.
> 1964 the treaty between Luxemburg and Germany.
>
> Special: Vianden - border stone situated on the german village
> Bollendorf/Eifel. This stone dosn't belongs to the recent DELU-
Border.