Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Enclaves
Date: Apr 25, 2001 @ 07:27
Author: rpalmber@abo.fi (rpalmber@...)

Hi Jesper

>I have never heard of the Dhekelia Power Plant. Where is it excactly and
>how big is the area. And did you go there?

It's clearly shown on most maps (on the coast), but I have to admit
I know very little about it. And no, I haven't been there, just passed
the station on a bus.

>Can you also tell us the story of Märket and why the border changed? And
>the toilet part too.

Märket is an isle shared by Finland and Sweden. In 1885 a lighthouse was
built on the isle (unmanned from 1979, but border-guards from both
countries go there regularly. In 1981 someone noticed that the lighthouse,
which was owned by the Finnish state, was in fact on Swedish soil, and the
two countries decided to swop land to make things right. At the same time
it was noted that the toilet used by the Finnish guards was also on Swedish
soil, so the toilet was included in the rearrangement. (I haven't found any
reference to the toilet part of the story, so it may be a rumour.).
There is a map of the isle at

http://www.pp.clinet.fi/~pkr01/historia/market.html#sv

and a longer background in Swedish.

Rolf