Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] revised canada & caus guesses
Date: Apr 14, 2001 @ 11:39
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

When I was birding at Churchill, Manitoba, several times in the early
1980s, the conventional wisdom among birders, including local professional
guides, was that the waters of Hudson's Bay were all part of the Northwest
Teritories, and I managed to see 28 species on or over the water. If I
accept the idea that there are parts of Canada that are part of no
Province or Territory, I will have to reduce my Nunavut life bird list
from 28 to 0.

I am certain that the situation is different along the Arctic and Hudson
Bay coast than it is along the Pacific coast. Along Hudson's Bay, the
Provinces definitely stop at the mean low water mark, and all the islands
were part of the Northwest Territories now Nunavut. Whereas along the
Pacific and Atlantic coasts, offshore islands belong to the adjacent
Provinces.

David