Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Northwest Angle 2 enclaves and map
Date: Apr 10, 2001 @ 17:28
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

bus&ss indicates that the point adopted in 1925 for the new north limit of
the usa in the lake of the woods displaced it northward from swampland into
open water

& nicholson 1979 says about the 1925 change
as the international boundaries of canada are also coincident with its
provincial boundaries except where they pass thru navigable waters etc
provincial recognition by manitoba followed in 1928 as it had to

so it would appear that not only were the claves eliminated by the 1925
change but a manitoba minnesota ontario binational tripoint was
eliminated as well

>Northwest angle used to have several enclaves in its NW arm of Lake of the
>Woods, that were removed in 1925. A map of the issues is on p137 of Stephen
>B. Jones, (1945), _Boundary-making a handbook for statesmen, treaty editors
>and boundary commissioners_, Carnegie endowment for international peace,
>division of international law, monograph No.8. Washington DC.
>
>As martin said , this has been republished recently.
>
>BW

still trying to visualize what tripoints do remain now tho
so excuse me if i ramble on

within canada it appears there must be a crown manitoba ontario tripoint
very close by
at the first landfall due north of the changed minnesota north point

& i am glad at first to realize this because i have been trying to upgrade
my count of the canadian internal multipoints
having just broken thru last night on multimap to a fairly credible count
of 25 places where the prolific nunavut northwest territories boundary
touches the seacoast
the great majority of these on victoria & mackenzie king islands btw
& so i have been scurrying all over the map of canada trying to complete
this try
which has appeared to involve only about another dozen points or so

but
oh
the try has actually just gotten blown to smithereens
because i realize i cant say what navigable waters actually are
or more to the point what canada thinks they are

i think they are probably any waters navigable by even the smallest craft
given that the royal preemption of them dates to earliest times
& they very probably include lakes & rivers equally
& could easily include waters both above & below the first head of navigation
& at any stage of flow

so the most liberal interpretation
which now seems the most likely one
would add a pair of crown waters tripoints just about everywhere a stream
or pond crosses any provincial or territorial boundary
& this amounts easily to hundreds of additional primary federative tripoints
& a really unresolvable mess
unless the canadian government publishes an official list or map of them
which frankly i find hard to imagine

so my revised conclusion is that canada
which begins by having 0 zero triprovincial points
plus its obvious quartet of federative dry multipoints along the 60th parallel
& about 3 dozen somewhat less obvious coastal tripoints
trails off into a myriad of mostly obscure freshwater federative tripoints
& is therefore probably just not susceptible to the kind of exhaustive
finite analysis enjoyed by the usa & most other countries

& i realize now too that the same imponderability extends equally to the
caus binational tripoints

we can easily point to the few all dry ones
menhpq & the half dozen on the 49th parallel west of the red river
& a couple of unnavigable wet ones i guess
nhpqvt & akbcyt
but we will probably never be able to account for all the wet ones

& thus unexpectedly both canada & caus
for the same reason
must remain by & large terra incognita