Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] More about obelisks
Date: Apr 06, 2001 @ 06:30
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

well brian i imagined you would be following thru with more pix
because i think people might like to see what you are talking about
& it is actually quite droll of you to pick these 3 monuments
but just so you at least know that the option is still open to consider the
ctmari monument the only tri state obelisk in the world
here are some additional data & thoughts

many different definitions of obelisk can be found
including the following

1
cambridge international dictionary of english
a tall stone column
u s u a l l y with 4 decorated sloping sides & a pointed top
made in honor of an important person or event

2
dictionary dotcom
a tall 4 sided shaft of stone
u s u a l l y tapered & monolithic
that rises to a point

3
the american heritage dictionary of the english language
a tall 4 sided shaft of stone
u s u a l l y tapered & monolithic
that rises to a pointed pyramidal top

4
artlex dotcom
a tall 4 sided shaft of stone
u s u a l l y tapering
that rises to a pyramidal point

etc

etc

so by any of these definitions at least
the mud turtle at manhvt
being evidently not tall & indeed almost never seen rising at all
wouldnt qualify as an obelisk

& by most of these & other definitions
the monument at mdpawv
being rounded on top rather than pyramidal
wouldnt qualify as an obelisk

& finally
since quebec is not normally considered a state
& even tho canada at large is a state of a sort
the tripoint obelisk at menhqc wouldnt normally qualify as a tri state anything
but would require a whole nother stretch of the imagination & dictionary
as well as a case of oranges & apples

if you really do want to stretch this way
you might find the mxus tri state obelisks more amenable
since the estados de mexico are at least states
& here you would at least enjoy a case of oranges & naranjas

nor is it my intention to disqualify anything
but only to commend you again to the special character of ctmari
since you do at least realize it is open to interpretation
nor do i conceal my own pride in this rock as a connecticutie
while fully recognizing your right to disqualify it
as well as to define &or imagine anything any way you like

the pic you brought is a very nice & happy obelisk too