Subject: Re: tripoint atchlin
Date: Apr 02, 2001 @ 19:03
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> for despite the possible identification of the village as malbun
> my reading of the actual presentation & photo caption etc told me
> this was the 6th in a series of cloudwalking liechtenstein pix
> which you can see all of by just changing the page number in the url
> for example
> http://liechtensteinfl.tripod.com/page5.html

Yes, this is Steg. Just as no. 6 is Malbun. Like I said, I have a map
of the area (1:50000) and I can recognise the houses and road pattern.

> in one place there your highpoint is essentially confirmed
> & even elevated by a full meter
> but the above page especially seems to me to support my atchlis view
> as it seems to deliver us atop the malbun ski lift on mt augstenberg
> in preparation for our final vista on page 6

The lift goes up to the 2000 m mark, which is at the Nospitz, a peak
very near the Augstenberg.

> not facing back northeastward toward malbun again
> but continuing to point southeastward toward naafkopf
>
> & doesnt the french say on page 6
> if you are in physical form
> a nice pun i thought
> this crowfly continues all the way up mt augstenberg 2359m
> where i figure the camera has to be now
> only to drop down again to pfalzerhutte 2109m

I don't think so as I can positively identify Malbun here. The
Pfaelzer Huette is on a mountain pass, the Bettlerjoch, which is
definitely not the valley in pic no. 6. The Pfaelzer Huette you can
see at http://meineseite.i-
one.at/nenzingerhimmel/wandergebiet.htm#Pfälzer%20Hütte (by the way,
a nice border picture since it's on the atli border).

> the valley presumably depicted here
> before the difficult reascent to naafkopf 2570m
> also seemingly very clearly depicted
> & indeed the focal point
> way up there la
> evidently also marking the natural conclusion of this journey
>
> the shadow if that is what it is could easily have been cast from
the
> west on a september afternoon
>
> so i continue to like my guess
> while i admit i too dont absolutely know that your guess is wrong
>
> btw the excellent swissgeo zoomable site among arifs links is also
a great
> help with liechtenstein

So I think the french text and the pictures are not entirely in
concordance here.

I'll try to make a scan of the map soon, so you can see why I think
what I do. I'm relying on that map and what I see in the pictures, so
I think you should see this map, too.

Peter S.