Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Another old stone
Date: Mar 16, 2001 @ 09:05
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@...>)

I'm absolutely positive that there are older ones than those we have found up to now. Lots of these
will probably have been moved, or they are still there and the border has moved, so they are not
functioning as border markers anymore. But a fair number are probably still on their own spot and
working.

I can remember that as a kid, when our family went over to visit my grandparents, we always passed a
field in which an old seigniorial border stone stood (that was near Arnemuiden in Zealand province).
I read on Eefs site that the stone has since then been removed by the farmer, but is not lost, and
will be put in some place where people can have a better look at it.

There must still be hundreds of these in Europe. And I don't know anything about the other
continents.

As for man-made boundary markers: what about the great walls? There is the Great China Wall, there
are the Roman Limes, Hadrian's Wall, Offa's Dike, The Berlin Wall...... Some are still there, some
only partly, but I wonder whether at least parts of them still have a boundary marker function.

Peter S.