Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] maritime sovereignty and jurisdiction
Date: Mar 13, 2001 @ 22:47
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

>If you accept the above argument, the only islands which would meet
>Brendan's strict definition of an enclave

...AT SEA...

>would be those whose
>territorial sea is totally surrounded by the territorial sea of
>another state - and, as yet, I have been unable to think of any....

Thanks Martin.

Enclaves are most useful when considered for areas of equal/similar
sovereignty, ie EITHER internal units OR nations, OR EEZs/Highseas, etc.
Thus we can think of high seas enclaves in EEZs or EEZs inside other EEZs
(ie St Pierre, Channel Islands, Monaco) or national level enclaves in
nations, but enclaves at one level bordering on a unit of higher level of
sovereignty are less interesting as they have fewer practical implications.
Hence less interest in the 2 or 3 Belgian provincial fragments that adjoin
its neighbouring nations.

Afetr Namibia's independence, S.Africa claimed many of the islands along its
coast, often little more than stacks. The Terr. Sea they had was often
within that of Namibia fomr the sketch maps I have seen.