Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Largest enclave
Date: Mar 13, 2001 @ 03:10
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

thank you brendan also for this partial concession to my ordinary
pedestrian usage of the clave words

but neither my dogeared american heritage dictionary nor i can swallow your
simultaneous concession to davids fine point also given below
hahaha

that books as well as my own beliefs & models are as follows

enclave
a country or part of a country lying wholly within the boundaries of another
so in normal straight talk
san marino is an enclave in or within italy
& campione is an italian enclave in or within switzerland
& no need to even think about an enclave of anything
for that would technically be a abuse of the word of

btw these correspond to rolfs types 1 & 3 respectively
tho when he says btw he usually means between

exclave
a portion of a country which is isolated in alien territory
but not expressly or necessarily within a single alien territory
& it even adds a map with the legend
cabinda is an exclave of angola
tho it does commit the blunder of verbally placing it in congo kinshasa
& there is no real need to think about an exclave in anything
& to do so would technically be an abuse of the word in

this entire exclave word corresponds to rolfs type 2

& thats it
no distinctly different usages than these basic ones are even suggested

& to me all of this simply says that in normally understandable parlance
an enclave may be an entire country or a part of a country
but it must always be surrounded by a single other country
& an exclave must always be a part of a country
but it may or may not be surrounded by a single other country

so these words really do have a simple flipflop mutuality
but it is not the same simple flipflop mutuality sophisticated people like
us often expect them to have & frankly overburden them with

really i swear there is no finesse or syntactical vagary at work here at all

& indeed i can sometimes hardly figure out what you all & all your
authorities are talking about

hahaha
just my 2 bits toward the general food fight

nice smorgasbord jesper