Subject: revised summary of frsp condo tripoints
Date: Mar 10, 2001 @ 05:46
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

please overlook my chasing my own tail here
for it is all in good fun
but i have taken another close look at the seemingly excellent yet
disturbingly unbalanced zoomable maps of the spanish hondarribia & french
hendaye municipalities at the eurocity site brought by peter
in http://www.egroups.com/message/boundarypoint/1555
& have come to the conclusion that the boundaries of these 2 municipalities
& thus of the adjacent boundaries of the condo must either have been
compiled from disparate & incompatible source data in france & spain
& then left in a ragged condition at the international & condo borders
which seems not very likely
or else the maps must accurately reflect present reality during a strange &
awkward transitional phase by showing the spain & condo boundary fully
modernized per the 1998 adjustments but the france & condo boundary more
nearly unchanged from its 1879 course as depicted in
http://www.egroups.com/message/boundarypoint/1577

it is particularly grotesque to see spanish territory reaching everywhere
all the way to the median of the estuary while french territory hugs the
estuary shoreline all the way back into the river mouth past the first
railroad bridge

grotesque also to see spanish territory meeting the condo along the
shoreline of the bay but french territory not even including any reclaimed
land & seeming therefore to fall back from the shoreline in many places

yes the wet condo appears to have actually gained a beachhead on the french
side
& there has evidently also been some shrinkage of the french maritime
territory since 1879
both situations being still unexplained & suggestive of an intervening treaty

but it all looks very much like it is in the process of belated legal
reconstruction to match & meet up with the spanish changes of 1998

so my latest premature guess is that the frfrspsp2 tripoint actually
remains in its historic position where the thalweg ends
or about midway between the railroad bridges as the zoomable maps show it
which is to say at position 2b described below
but that it is trying to get out to position 2a
namely the midpoint between the matching pierheads
& will succeed there at the next agreement

of course any help to corroborate or bust this hunch would be greatly
appreciated

& if someone would also just help me do some comparable digging for the
suspected bede condo tripoints
i would really be in heaven

would that be you wolfgang