Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] hypothetical situation
Date: Feb 28, 2001 @ 23:27
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

Very interesting that you consider a perfectly straight line to be jiggy!

I have never understood at all why any of the BoundaryPoint people think
it is odd when political boundaries cut across land/water shorelines in
arbitrary ways. Politically, land and water are no different. MOST
political boundaries in North America, Australia, Africa, and other former
colonies of European powers are just lines drawn on maps independent of
local geographies. The State of Michigan is continuous, only its land
areas are not. But the land of Pennsylvania is not continuous either, it
is divided by the Aleghenney/Ohio river and probably others. Jefferson Co,
Washington, is not at all odd to me, and it is very odd to me that anyone
would consider it odd! If you sit far away and draw political boundaries
along parallels and meridians (which itself is very logical), then it
should not be surprising if they cut across land and water, or small
mountain ranges, willy nilly
David
PS: True enclaves and exclaves, on the other hand, are really odd and
interesting!