Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] hypothetical situation
Date: Feb 27, 2001 @ 23:07
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

In Georgia, I personally am fond of the weird shape of Ware county. I'd like
to know the history of countyr formation in this area. It is a pene-enclave
down there in the okeefenokkee.
But the enclave or rather fragemtn i prefer is that of Brooks county
sandwiched between Lowndes and Florida. UIt would appear fomrtopo maps that
the river forming the eastern boundary of brooks formed a very acute angle
with florida, thaen one day the river meandered south, increasing the area
of lowndes, right up to the florida state line and leaving a portion of
brooks cut off. Interesting how the county line moved, but then came up
against the much more immovable state line, though in this case it is not
that the state line is of a higher order, so much as that the state line in
this part is a straight line, and thus immovabel, while the county boundary
happened to be a (movable) river.

Arif, are you sure you're looking at county bounds and not census area
bounds in the corner of Taylor??

According to my maps, some of Baldwin county is fragmented from it on the
edge of Hancock due to a recent large dam and lake.

Brendan