Subject: Re: Berlin was memorial, was: [BoundaryPoint] Territories and tripoi nts
Date: Jan 08, 2001 @ 17:46
Author: tardis (tardis <tardis@hannover.sgh-net.de>)

Dear Mats,

> I have a weak memory of a war memorial on the northern
> side of Str des 17 Junis, not far from Brandenburger Tor,
> but on the western side of the wall. Is that the memorial
> you are referring to?
>
> Do you know if it is still there?

It surely is. I enclose a small scan of the central Berlin city map,
showing Strasse des 17. Juni west of Brandenburg Gate. The "Ehrenmal"
is, as you said, north of the street.

> By the way, if you know Berlin, do you know if the rock
> that promises everlasting friendship with the Soviet
> Union is still there? I think it was placed on a square
> close to the old DDR parliament building.

I have been to Berlin once, in 1981. But I'll ask friends about this
rock. Do you have any further information on its exact name or location?
Parliament Building would be "Palast der Republik", I presume?

> Another question, if you don't mind my asking, was there
> ever a border crossing (Grenzuebergang) at Brandenburger
> Tor?

Yes there was. On 24th or 25th of December 1989, the then Heads of
Government of both states, Kohl and Modrow, celebrated the opening of
pedestrian checkpoints on either side of the gate. Of course, by that
time the Wall peckers were already busy disintegrating the entire
structure.

As a side note - when inhabitants of West Berlin, West Germany proper or
other countries wanted to cross into East Berlin, they had to use
different border crossings. The most interesting checkpoint surely was
"Checkpoint Charlie", where a small museum tells stories of how people
escaped (by balloon, tunnel, etc.)

Hope this helps.

All the Best

Bernhard