Subject: Sv: [BoundaryPoint] Fragments
Date: Jan 08, 2001 @ 09:41
Author: Peter Hering ("Peter Hering" <hering@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Hello Brendan,
your comments on the terms "enclave" and "exclave" are
interesting and I do agree with you that most people
do not know the linguistic difference. Anyhow, your
remark about the German word "Exklave" meaning
"enclave" is definitely wrong. In German both
terms exist, meaning exactly the same as in English!
Webster's Encycl. of the English Language:
"exclave": a portion of a country geographically
separated from the main part by surrounding alien
territory.
"enclave": a country, or especially an outlying
portion of a country, entirely or mostly surrounded
by the territory of another country...
Wahrig - Deutsches Wörterbuch:
"Exklave": von fremdem Staatsgebiet umschlossener
Gebietsteil eines Staates - im Gegensatz zu(on the contrary):
"Enklave".
Best regards
Peter