Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] neutral zones & joint zones or condos
Date: Jan 07, 2001 @ 22:30
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

hi arif

>Mike -
>I didn't actually try to intimitate that neutral zones
>and joint zones or condominiums are the same.

no
i understand & didnt mean to pin that on you

i do think joint & condo zones are essentially identical for tri pointing
purposes tho

>Neutral
>zones are much rarer if any truly exists.

right
there is only one maritime example i have heard of
iran & saudi arabia
& perhaps none on dry land any more

>However, as
>Mats wanted to know about them both, I wrote all
>examples I could find. The descriptions should have
>shown what kind they were. Some condominiums are
>neutral zones in terms of army presence which further
>complicates matters.
>By the way, I was looking through stuff I had and I
>found out that Brazil-Argentina-Uruguay tripoint is
>still in dispute due to disputed sovereignty in an
>island. How many other tripoints are disputed?

wish i knew the real answer

the truth is we have found almost no data on the majority of them
which is what makes the hunt so interesting for me personally

boundary & enclave data rare & wonderful as they are often seem abundant
by comparison
but there is no point comparing
since it is the combination of these that is so much fun

to answer your question as well as i can tho
it does appear that disputed tripoints are most common in africa & asia
perhaps running in the 10 or 20 percent range there
meaning a few dozen for the worldwide land total just as a wild guess

by comparison
in the oceans a great many tripoints are still uncertain
probably nearly all in fact