Subject: Berlin was memorial, was: [BoundaryPoint] Territories and tripoi nts
Date: Jan 07, 2001 @ 17:35
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <Mats@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

> The memorial in Berlin was the Soviet War Memorial in the Bezirk
> (District) Tiergarten. There were Soviet soldiers on guard, and
> frequently Soviet VIPs layed wreaths. I'm not sure, whether
> the memorial
> actually formed part of the Soviet sector of Berlin or
> whether only free
> access was guaranteed at all times.

Bernhard,

Thanks for the information!

I have a weak memory of a war memorial on the northern
side of Str des 17 Junis, not far from Brandenburger Tor,
but on the western side of the wall. Is that the memorial
you are referring to?

Do you know if it is still there?

By the way, if you know Berlin, do you know if the rock
that promises everlasting friendship with the Soviet
Union is still there? I think it was placed on a square
close to the old DDR parliament building.

Another question, if you don't mind my asking, was there
ever a border crossing (Grenzuebergang) at Brandenburger
Tor?

Mats