Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Baarle Bi-Quadropoint
Date: Jan 03, 2001 @ 22:46
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

>Brendan wrote in quiz answers::
>The other case is in Baarle. Demarcation of the Baarle enclaves in 1995
>finally created another 2-country quadripoint in the middle of a field in
>the SE of the village.
>See Dutch 1:25 000 map 50G "Baarle-Nassau" or 1:50 000 map 50 Oost
>"Tilburg", coordinates:1239-3831; or Belgian 1:25 000 map 8/3-4
>"Wortel-Weelde" coordinates 1897-2364
>
>Jesper comments:
>I have the last mentioned map and the enclave that Brendan mentioned is the
>one that I mentioned in messages 1173 as:
>
>1) located on a land between Wisweg/Gierlestraat/Reith in the SE area. On
>the touristic map 1:8300 their appears to be a tiny connection only a few
>meters.
>
>Mats: Perhaps you can scan the tourist map of the point?
>
>Brendan: What evidence do you have of the point? Are you able to locate the
>point if you go there in person?

If the farmers let you! It is a single field all around, but owned (or
cropped?) by different farmers (relatives of each other). When I was there
in October, the sections of the larger Belgian enclave, and the 2 dutch
sections were in corn, and the smaller Belgian section had recently been
harvested. Thus after asking permiission fomr one owner, I was able to get
photos of a small stake/pillar in the middle of the field that marked not
only national boundary, but also allowed the farmers to know how much of the
field was theirs to harvest.
So yes, it is marked, possible to visit and at the right season quite
interesting.

The point is also defined exactly in the Tretay of 1995 and shows us as a
point in the cadastral maps of the area.
I will see what i can do about scanning pictures/maps.

Brendan